Welcome message:

Thanks for dropping by our site! Please do try answering our interactive quizzes ;)

Daily Calendar

Rate our site :)

There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Philippine President: Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia ( 1957-1961 )

Condition of the Philippines:

It was just less than 10 years after World War II when Carlos P. Garcia was nominated as the president of the Philippines, right after Ramon Magsaysay died in a plane crash in Cebu. According to some literatures about Philippine history, the country was undergoing several economic changes brought by World War II, given that Philippines was severely damaged between the war of the Japanese and Americans.

Primary Problems:

As mentioned above, the country was suffering under an economic crisis. Bankruptcy and corruption were one of the major issues under the administration of Carlos P. Garcia. Several issues of corruptions rose within the different offices/departments of the government, some of which are within the Bureau of Internal Revenue and Bureau of customs.

Primary Programs:

President Carlos Garcia started his administration with an austerity program on account of the almost bankrupt treasury which he inherited from his reckless predecessor, and he fairly succeeded in this program.He also launched an intensive effort to eradicate reported venalities in the Bureau of Customs, the Bureau of Internal Revenue, and a few other offices.During his administration, the Reparations Agreement with Japan was also made. The Reparations Agreement provides that the Philippines shall be paid by Japan in the amount of U.S. $550 million as war damage payment.

Results of the Programs:

Bohlen–Serrano Agreement – The charter of the US Bases in the Philippines were shortened from 99 years to 25 years, but can be renewed every 5 years.

Filipino First Policy – The government would give more importance to Filipinos preferential treatment in their own country. This also meant foreigners could invest capital up to 40% in a business or industry while the remaining 60% would be owned by Filipino citizens.

Austerity Program – Program that serves to lessen and eliminate corruption in the government system.

Controversies:

There were some controversies within the Garcia administration, first of which was with the government agencies especially with government owned corporations such as Philippine Homesite and Housing Corporation and Government Service Insurance System. These two major corporations were reported entailing heavy financial losses to the government.

Controversies also rose with his quarrel with the Manila City mayor, with the Senate President and lastly with his political party

1 comment: